Search This Blog

Monday, January 16, 2012

Beware of Dumbass Choices



So, today I’m just going to ramble on about what ever. I just deleted an entire page of writing and it felt amazing. It was as though I was God and I was erasing a paragraph in Genesis that I felt was a little wordy. Okay maybe that’s a bit heady, how about deleting a rainy day or a traffic jam. Wouldn’t it be great if we could do that in real life? Erase the crap.

“Oh hey! This sucks, I think I’ll delete it.” PRESTO! Suddenly the sun is shining again, and the traffic parts for you like the Red Sea.

Sometimes I think I spend half of my life trying to avoid mistakes. That and dodging long-winded people in grocery lines; I’m a magnet for the socially starved. Unfortunately life isn’t a keyboard and bad choices are a lot like tattoos; initially it’s fun picking out the design, but then one must face the needles, risk of infection, and the reality of waking up for the rest of your life with an eternal doodle on your favorite body part. I’m not saying that tattoos are bad but they are indelible and I think if we had to get a tattoo each time we made a choice we would be a lot more cautious with our decision making.

Lets say for each good choice we make we would be given a Master Artist like Michelangelo to design and engrave the tattoo, but for each foolish choice we make we would be given, Bronson, (who I will introduce you to shortly) or be forced to give ourselves a tattoo (with the wrong hand).

First you have the major tattoos (choices). The ones you commit an important body part to. Getting married or having kids are examples of major tattoos. These are the ones you’re most proud of, unless of course the marriage is bad, and then you might want to refer back to paragraph one on deleting the crap, which of course is impossible. Wearing a long sleeve shirt might help but most people get the marriage tattoo on their faces, that being the most important body part. Pancake make-up might hide it a little but eventually most people wind up paying a fortune to have their marriage tattoos removed.



Next you have the embarrassing tattoos (choices). These are the choices you made in haste, or when you were drunk, tired, depressed, impressed or simply pressed. These tattoos were done by an artist (and I use that term loosely) named, Bronson, with whiskey breath and hands the size of honey-glazed hams. Of course you’re so toasted that Bronson looks competent and like-able, so you agree to let him doodle a charming Chinese symbol on the base of your spine that’s supposed to say Wisdom, but it really says, Dumbass. So now you’re stuck with Dumbass inked on the base of your spine and you’ll be forever tugging your shirt down over it and praying that nobody reads Chinese.



Finally we have the little tattoos (choices). The ones you almost need a microscope to find. The ladies choice is usually a heart the size of a Spaghetti-O on the ankle and for the men we have the ever-popular Love inked on the knuckles. These are usually self-inflicted during the turbulent teens… And ugly! I have two of such tattoos, but thankfully they are so tiny that nobody ever notices them.



Each day we make dozens of small choices, which seem insignificant at the time, but over a lifetime they often become the foundation for our larger choices. This is why it’s important to be wise with all the choices that we make because in the end our lives can either reflect the beauty of the Sistine Chapel or a Men’s room wall. “For a good time call…"

The moral of this blog is quite simple. One mustn’t doodle on oneself.











42 comments:

Martha Jane Orlando said...

Leah, you've done it again! Comparing our choices in life to tattoos is inspired!
Plus, you always make me laugh - what a great sense of humor you have. :)
Getting ready to watch the video, if I can make it through . . .
Blessings!

Karen Wojcik Berner said...

Great metaphor, Leah. :)

Melissa Tandoc said...

LOL...how true! What you wrote made a lasting impression. WE make our choices and somehow, they become a part of our identity and it's difficult to erase them.

I'll try to keep the moral in mind :P

Unknown said...

What I like about writing is that I can always put my crap into a separate folder and come back to it at a later date, and maybe, just maybe, get some use out of it. Life (and tattoos) doesn't always work like that :D

Healing Morning said...

LOL at "one mustn't doodle on oneself" part! I have yet to do a tattoo and am fairly certain that I never will. Nothing against tattoos, but I think I'm past that stage of life....and I wasn't ever a rebel to begin with.

Choices, large and small....heck, I think my etheric body is plenty tattoo'd with those already! Don't you think?! Imagine what our auras look like after a lifetime of choices. Wowsers. Double, triple wowsers. :)

Great post, Leah!

Loving you, chickadee!

- Dawn

Manisha Bhatia said...

Leah I really liked dis article f urs, u related such imp lessons of life wid tatoos n they were so apt too...

N dat video, needless to mention I have never seen such wiered tattooss..:D

Love
Mani

S. Susan Deborah said...

Loved the metaphor and yes, quite true. Some things just cannot be erased.

Joy always,
Susan

Leah Griffith said...

Martha, I'm glad I made you laugh but you must admit it's true. The choices we make create the life that we live. We had better laugh at ourselves or we just might cry LOL!
XO

Leah Griffith said...

Thanks Karen;)

Leah Griffith said...

Melissa, was I be a tad too preachy? LOL!!! Don't worry darling you've earned an A in this little class;) LOL!

Leah Griffith said...

JR, I love discovering a nuget or two that have been stashed away in a crap folder. I usually save everything but for some reason I felt the need to delete... and it felt sooooo good;)

Leah Griffith said...

LOL Dawn, I'm sure my aura is inked from top to bottom with a combo of beauty and spray paint;) I still might get a real tattoo... something small but lovely;)

Leah Griffith said...

Yeah Mani, that video is a bit scary, but so is life and the decisions we have to make on a daily basis.
Good to see you! Now go and make wise choices;)

Leah Griffith said...

Thank you sweet Susan;)
XO

The Poet said...

Hello Leah.
I never looked at it like this. Choices:tatoos.
I agree with you that the choices we make create the life we live, most of the time.
I'm generally a happy guy & nothing really bothers me. I refuse to fret over tomorrow or things outside my control...face each obstacle head on...that's me. I believe in living each day to the fullest as life is already too short. Carpe Diem as they say!

Ha, pigs will have to fly before you catch me mutilating this body! LOL
Thanks for sharing.

sulekkha said...

Leah, your posts are amazing. I read them and go wow, everytime :) Great post with an important lesson about making choices...good one:)

Leah Griffith said...

Andy, I love that you refuse to fret. Isn't that the key... having control over it? Making the choice not to. That's a lovely tattoo!

Carpe Diem indeed!

XO

Leah Griffith said...

Thank you sweet Sulekkha! This was a fun one;)
XO

Anonymous said...

Great metaphor to the tattoo... Once imprinted it never can be erased...

Dangerous Linda said...

I'm actually thinking of getting a tattoo and I have been considering it very seriously for over 20 years -- haha! I didn't see myself listed in your scenarios above ;-)

Mary Hudak-Collins livingthescripture.com said...

Leah, I had always contemplated a tatoo, but funny I never went any further than that. Knowing that each choice, each breath we take impacts our life in one way or another. I never thought of 'tatoo' in that way tho :P

Anonymous said...

I wish I had read this earlier. Now I have to get my tattoos tatted over to make them look like something else entirely. Or maybe I should think about it first ...

;p Love this post!

Jayne said...

Haha! My daughter doodles on herself and it drives me crazy! Leah, you are a master met aphorist, my dear. Loved "most people wind up paying a fortune to have their marriage tattoos removed." !!!

This day and age, with the internet and all, it's not so easy to delete. Things become fairly permanent. Sage thoughts on making the right choices. ;)

Rimly said...

Leah I loved this metaphor, so apt it is. I think I have quite a handful of tattoos on me in that case. LOL! But each etching has also been a learning, the hard way. So for me it goes once tattooed twice shy!!!! But seriously I have thinking of actually having a real tattoo done. Any suggestions, my friend? So enjoyed reading this.

My poem
http://rimlybezbaruah.blogspot.com/2012/01/your-voice.html

Brooke said...

I love this! Makes me want to think a little more about my choices, because you are right, they are a little more permanent than you think. Great post!

photos by jan said...

Great post,I have one of those tattoos done when drunk, it represents a hugely BAD choice, done by the bad choice, I made the bad choice to marry.....twice. I can truly relate to this post, very inspired and funny.

Life, Laughter and Paris said...

"A magnet for the socially starved". ha ha ha. Love it! Great post.

Leah Griffith said...

Hi Sparkle, yes choices stain doen't they;)

Leah Griffith said...

Mary, I'm not against tattoos I'm against leaping before we think. We've all done it and it's cost us plenty.
What type of tattoo would you get? *grin

Leah Griffith said...

Sweepy;) If you find a cheap tattoo removal service let me know!

Leah Griffith said...

Jayne, I worked in a group home for teenaged girls and they were constantly doodling on themselves with bad tattoos. Yikes!
I have to admit, I have always wanted a tattoo but have been to afraid to get one. What would I get? It would have to be small and meaningful;)

Leah Griffith said...

Rimly, I was just telling Jayne the same thing. I am still considering a tattoo but I'm not going to decide until I'm in a very peaceful place. Getting a tattoo in the midst of some big upheaval is probably not wise.
What are you thinking of getting?

Leah Griffith said...

Hey Brooke, it's nice to see your beautiful font here this morning;)

Leah Griffith said...

Jan, I don't know how I managed to escape my youth without a bad tattoo... I guess all of mine are on the inside! LOL!

Leah Griffith said...

Life, thank you;)

Jayne said...

Ying and yang, Leah!

Leah Griffith said...

Exactly Jayne! LOL!

Corinne Rodrigues said...

Oh yes, oh yes, I got me some bad tattoos (choices) too, but I'm glad they're in places no one can see! ;)

Love the analogy and of course your sparkling wit!

Leah Griffith said...

Corinne if we wore our screwed-upness on the outside we'd all avoid each other! LOLOL!!

Corinne Rodrigues said...

Oh I agree, Leah! ♥

Lacey said...

I was one of those girls doodling on themselves...I remember tring to hide it from you beneath my sock! :) I strayed away from the boyfriend initials or assiging names to my breasts. Even then I knew if I was going to mark my body for life I wanted it to mean something. Only having blue pens to dab our threaded safety pens in, it seemed fitting to have a tiny blue heart etched into my ankle. It symbolizes how lonely I was and is a constant reminder to how much I have grown.

When you caught a glimpse of it, I remember you remarked something to the effect of 'you told us not to doodle on ourselves and you instructed me to wash it off.' Still makes me giggle. :)

Leah Griffith said...

Oh yes Lacey, I certainly do remember that and I also remember one young lady inking names on each of her breasts. YIKES!
I love that your tiny heart tattoo is a reminder for how far you have come from your dreary and dangerous past. You're amazing my darling and I love you so so much.
Ma;)

Post a Comment