Search This Blog

Sunday, August 14, 2011

When the Chips Hit the Fan


Life is like a game of poker, random numbers and faces, shuffled together in fluky sequences, dealt daily by fate, who greets me at dawn and says, “Good morning Leah, here is your hand for the day, I have only one question to ask….do you feel lucky today?”

I hold my hand close to my chest and slowly fan the cards out. Yikes! It looks dismal. But wait, is that an ace of hearts I see? I stare blankly forward, poker face in place, hoping my ace high is enough for the day and that the stakes aren’t too high.

Life is always a gamble. Hell, getting out of bed is a gamble, because the cards that we’re dealt often seem arbitrary and unalterable. It takes a certain amount of chutzpah to face each day…chutzpah and blind faith. This is why it’s so important for me to take care of myself and set things up so I have a good supply of joy. Without Joy I might find myself folding before the lunch bell tolls.

I’m a true believer that positive inner dialog is the key to enjoying a good day. Being in a happy place mentally is like building my house miles away from the edge of a cliff. When somebody, or something, comes rushing in at me it has a long way to go before it can push me over the edge.

On the other hand, if my inner dialog is negative, that’s like building my house on the edge of the cliff. When something unexpected or frightening happens it doesn’t take much to knock me over the precipice, dropping me into an abysmal place, and leaving me to crawl through the darkness in order to find my way out again.

With life’s cards often stacked against me I can’t afford to entrust my day to random twists of fate. This is where the tools that I’ve acquired over many bloody years come in handy. I’m either going to do the mental maintenance before the proverbial chips hit the fan, or after.

Remember…there are no excuses in poker, and no matter how crappy the hand, life requires us to go “all in” before our tender pink feet have a chance to hit the cold morning floor. Therefore, it’s important to keep your head and your poker face on straight.

Are jokers wild or are they just there to confuse me?




4 comments:

JIM said...

Well written maybe I feel that way because I agree with you 100%% Your state of mind rules your life including your health!!!! I tweeted and +!!


http://jpweddingphotograpy.blogspot.com/2011/08/photographing-love-for-magnificent.html

Leah Griffith said...

Hi Jim, Yeah isn't it the truth! It all starts and ends between your ears;) Thanks so much for sharing my post. I can't wait to see your latest photos.
Cheers,
Leah

Jayne said...

Mental maintenance... I too often forget about this bit of self-care, running on auto-pilot lasts only so long.

I love how you expressed this here, Leah: the importance of a joyous inner dialogue. So very true. We have choices, and we have to work at it. Thanks for the reminder! And the Joker is WILD! ;)

Leah Griffith said...

Jayne, I was hoping that the joker was wild because I tend to attract them;)
Mental maintenance is the most understated regimen around. All my life I’ve heard “brush your teeth, exercise, eat right, wear sun-block, stop making faces or it will freeze that way,” but nobody ever told me to be careful of what I’m thinking. Interesting huh?

Post a Comment